Friday, March 11, 2011

March 11th: The Earthquake and Tsunami

Thankfully Osaka region, where I live, was untouched by the 8.9 earthquake and resulting tsunami yesterday afternoon. Everyone I know is alright here, and things are perfectly in tact. Unfortunately, Japanese lives and homes have been lost in regions that were not as lucky, such as Sendai and Tokyo.

I sat at the computer editing photos when the room began shaking. At first I thought I was twitching in my seat, so I looked around to see if other objects in the room were moving...and yes, my towel was swaying on its hook, from an earthquake with an epicenter nearly 500 miles away. I have experienced earthquakes in Los Angeles and it didn't phase me. However, the movement continued for much longer than the average LA earthquake so I went into the hallway and stood beneath the metal door beam until it stopped.

Afterward I went back to editing photos, not realizing the enormity of what had happened. My aunt, Susie, called me at 3:49pm in a panic asking if I was OK after the "8.9 earthquake." She told me about  tsunami warnings issued all over the Pacific. I began receiving concerned Facebook messages shortly after and seeing status updates about the disaster. I had recently been on an anti-Facebook streak. But I must say that it was the most helpful way of informing worried friends and family that we were OK here in Osaka.

I sat at the computer and TV through the night, watching images of the growing disaster. The live images of the tsunami engulfing Sendai were jaw dropping and the subsequent tsunami warnings for the Pacific reaching as far as the California coast were baffling.

As the casualty count rises, this has been a reminder of Mother Nature's immense force.

We hope the worst is over. I have high hopes for Japan's resilience and strength in such times.

Image of Damage Caused in Sendai by Tsunami, Photo Borrowed From MSNBC.com

Kesenumma hit by Tsunami near Epicenter, Image Borrowed From Seattle Times

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this extra post. It should help people to understand that not all of Japan has been hit by the earthquake/tsunami disaster (which the media makes confusing at times) - at least directly. I think we all have some very difficult days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an intense time for you to be there. sorry for what has happened to people, their communities and livelihood. and worried about the nuclear reactors. Any word on that? thanks for your post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, these days are proving to be difficult and mentally exhausting. There seems to be a lot of confusing media surrounding us.

    Annabel, regarding the nuclear reactors, we are all concerned. At the current moment in time, our school is advising us to carry on with our lives as normal until further notice.

    We are checking the news often...if not obsessively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just to clarify, we are all OK! Osaka is still in the safe zone.

    ReplyDelete