Sunday, March 13, 2011

Kobe, China Town, & Reminders

The sun warmed the air on Sunday after a chaotic and mentally exhausting weekend. I pulled myself away from the news and met my friend in Kobe. The train station was packed on the way there and people seemed to be going about their daily routines. Shops were open for business, trains were on time, and women were walking around with shopping bags at the station.

Kobe was destroyed by The Great Hanshin Earthquake in 1995. As we walked through the new, strong, and bustling city, the sad irony struck me.

On many street corners young people shouted out, calling for donations for the country's disaster.

One of the Many Groups Calling for Donations
We came to China Town which was full of people.  There was a certain grave undercurrent however, as officials asked for donations in the central area.

Calling for Donations in the Country's Crisis
A Busy View of China Town and its Lanterns
China Town was abuzz, full of all sorts of street vendors, noises, scents, and food. It was refreshing being in the city in its lively state and seeing the Japanese people out and about supporting what was presumably a fund raising cause.  I had been glued to CNN, BBC, and Japan Today all weekend. The dramatic headlines felt and still feel so far away from what I experienced in Osaka and Kobe on Sunday.

A Man Selling Food at the Market
One friendly Kobe man asked where I am from. When I told him I am from the US, he wanted to practice his English. He told me his story about how once spoke six languages. He had gone through a head trauma and had to regain his speech and memory of language over time. I was impressed by how well he spoke English despite his modesty. He was kind and suggested that we try Kobe bread and coffee before wishing us well on our way...although I had always heard Kobe is famous for its beef.
At last we made our way down to the water. There we found a memorial site of the Hanshin Earthquake. It was a strange feeling to be standing next to earthquake remains nearly sixteen years old, just a few days after the monstrosities north of us. I pondered in silence on the immense aftermath Japan will feel for years to come.

Memorial Site of The Great Hanshin Earthquake

No comments:

Post a Comment