Friday, May 20, 2011

Long Time, No Write

I appreciate those of you who are still checking in on my blog. I have not written for a long time, and I apologize!

Now I'm back on US soil. Every morning when I wake, I think of Japan. I miss it very much: the people, Hirakata, my friends, the stores, the sounds, the smells and tastes, the function, well you get the point...

Since I've been back in the US, I have been a bit of a nomad. I've been in six different states trying to fill my time off with important things, one of those being a long overdue visit to my grandparents, ages 76 and 82.

Despite my angst over leaving Japan early, I have tried to make the best of my time back in the states. I feel like a new person in many ways, having gained some fresh perspective in my travels. Visiting my grandparents, I got plenty of second hand nostalgia. I learned a lot about my mysterious family past. I am aware of the beauty of being young and of the fragility of growing old. My grandpa is a well of invaluable information, and I am pleased that I had the time to visit both grandparents during this time.

All of the emotions I encountered after leaving Japan and visiting my grandparents and their friends, made me realize that Japan will forever be a sacred piece of my growing up. I feel blessed to have had the experience, but I am determined to return...and to experience more.

Now enough sentimental rambling. Here's the best news: so far I have raised $900 dollars for Japan relief. I am incredibly grateful to those who bought my paintings to support the cause. By the end of the summer, I hope to raise at least $600 more dollars to send back to Japan.

Thank you for checking in. Make the best of every day and do something new.

Love, Jess

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update.

    I wonder if you might want to post information about how people can buy your paintings and help Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long live Japan! I wonder what it feels like to live in Japan? Will I ever love their culture? Maybe yes, maybe not! Do earthquakes still happen more often? That is one of the reasons why I don’t want to stay in Japan. I’m not the courageous enough to adapt to that kind of environment. Sorry!


    PhD in Education

    ReplyDelete